As a federally owned enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. GIZ has been operating in Timor-Leste since 1999 on behalf of the German Government and implemented a number of projects in various fields such as economic development and employment promotion, peace building and civil conflict transformation in youth as well as administrative and technical support to the maritime sector. GIZ works in close cooperation with its Timorese governmental and non-governmental partners to reach jointly agreed goals.
We are looking for a Driver (female/male) to work for the new joint German Cooperation and Government of Timor-Leste project ‘Peacebuilding through improved Employability and Income Generating Opportunities for Marginalized People (ENDIGO)’.
The aim of this project is to promote skill and employability development services for the country’s young people. The project identifies and initiates Active Labour Market Policies (ALMP) and qualification opportunities that empower young people, specifically girls and young women, in rural areas to become good Employees, Employers and Entrepreneurs (3E’s).
The projects seeks to create an environment conducive to young women and men to recognize and make use of income generating and employment opportunities. The project also focuses in strengthening institutional capacities of key government, civil society and private sector actors for employments and qualification related services.
Position: Driver (female/male)
Duty Station: Dili, with frequent trips to districts
- Safe and reliable driving of office vehicles
- Running of official errands and assisting with the technical maintenance of the office
- Calculating the petrol, oil, and lubricant (POL) usage on a monthly basis
- Preparing and ensuring the completion and orderly record of log books at all times
- Support the daily need and operation of the office
- Routine maintenance and care-taking of office vehicles
- Performing other tasks as requested by the supervisor
Within this context, she/he fulfills the following tasks:
Driving and Chauffeuring
- Provides passenger transport in a project car for project/office staff, visitors/guests in Dili and other districts
- Collect, handle and deliver mails/office letters, documents to GIZ Office/Programmes, other office, Partner Organization offices and Banks
- Ensure GIZ regulations are strictly followed during driving (seat belt fastened, limited number of passengers, Availability of Drinking (mineral) water, up to date first aid box)
- Keep the vehicles logbook up to date and provide mileage analysis as per requirement (each time fueling is done)
- Support the procurement processes in the collection of pro-forma invoice etc.
- Supports maintenance of equipment and facilities, e.g. performs minor repair and arranges for other repairs in the office
- Supports operational tasks in the office as assigned, e.g. organize catering services for meetings
Maintenance of Cars
- Regularly cleaning the inside and outside of the office vehicle inside
- Check oil, water, brake and clutch fluids on a daily basis; tire pressures, battery water, and overall vehicle condition on a monthly basis or after every 5000 km whichever comes earlier; tests lights, brakes, bodywork for dents, etc.
- Is responsible for project vehicle documents and its care, keeps vehicle logbook on a daily basis and register each monthly check
- Calculate the petrol, oil, and lubricant (POL) use on a monthly basis, is responsible for a special petty cash for POL and submits vouchers to accounting on a monthly basis
- Report the need for maintenance and undertakes minor repairs
- Immediately report any involvement of the project/office vehicle in any, even minor accidents, or any damage or theft of equipment from the vehicle
- Uses all available information to update knowledge of street conditions, effective routes and locations daily, current passable routes and locations
- Exchanges this information with other office drivers
- Wears proper cloth
- Serves all passengers in a friendly manner
- Runs errands for the project/office, e.g. delivery of letters/messages, payment of bills, and makes minor purchases of office supplies
- Does not use the car for his/her own private purposes at any time without prior permission from the Principal Advisor or his assigned deputy. Such misuse of the vehicle is considered a serious misconduct, and will immediately lead to a warning and may result in dismissal
- Required qualifications and experience:
- Secondary School Degree
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
- Good language skills in English and fluent in Tetum
- Discipline and punctuality
- Stress tolerance and patience
- Familiarity with Dili and Timorese Districts
- Preferably 3 years of working experience as a driver, with references
- No history of major accidents within the past 3 years
- Flexibility to work on weekends/evening when needed, willingness to travel to districts including overnight stays. Ability to work on weekends and stringent timelines.
GIZ is a company of equal opportunity for women and girls and boys and men. We strongly support both women and men who are keen to work in professions and positions that are usually considered too unconventional and where they are underrepresented. For this position we thus specifically encourage interested, qualified women to send a completed application including CV and two referees stating the subject “GIZ-ENDIGO” latest on 28 April 2017 to either email@example.com or GIZ Coordination Office, Palm Business & Trade Centre, 3rd floor, Surik Mas, Fatumeta (Hudilaran), Dili, Timor-Leste.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be held in English.