Plan International in Timor-Leste
VACANCY: ASSISTANT AREA MANAGER, AILEU AND AINARO MUNICIPALITIES
Plan International especially invites applications from women and people with disabilities for this position, and for all jobs and consultancies. We ask all job applicants to show firm evidence of their commitment to gender equality and inclusion of people with disabilities. Plan offers competitive salaries and long-term career opportunities.
Background. Plan’s programs in Aileu and Ainaro Municipalities aim to ensure that all children, especially girls, realize their rights to clean water and sanitation, education, and protection from violence and abuse, health, and that they become active and democratic citizens. Plan is committed to response in case of humanitarian disaster in these Municipalities. Plan’s development and rights activities are supported by grants from a range of donors and by almost 13,000 child sponsors.
Role. The Assistant Area Manager is a member of a team of four Assistant Area Managers. He/she will support the Area Manager generally, and will have a particular focus on supervising and mentoring suco-based Community Mobilization Officers and supporting Community Volunteers in sponsorship communications. Each Assistant Area Manager is line manager for 4-6 Community Mobilization Officers.
Skills and qualifications required
- Demonstrated knowledge and work experience in community development, preferably in an international organization
- Demonstrated knowledge of rural development, gender and child rights issues in Timor Leste.
- Experience in managing staff an advantage
- Very good written and spoken English is essential
- Proven skills in engaging with children and young people in imaginative, creative and respectful ways, in line with Plan’s CCCD approach
- Willing to learn to ride a motorbike – Plan will pay for training – or already having a motorbike license
- Proficiency in MS Office software essential. Knowledge of databases an advantage
- Clear communicator, demonstrated good writing skills
Location/travel. This post will at first be based in Maubisse but the Assistant Area Manager must be willing to be transferred to another location in Aileu or Ainaro Municipalities. The Area Manager will be required to travel within the Municipalities up to 50% of the time, requiring motorbike travel on bad roads and walking. He/she must be willing to stay in remote sucos overnight at times. There is also regular travel to Dili by motorbike.
FOR ALL PLAN POSITIONS AND CONSULTANCIES…
- Plan International does not tolerate child abuse. Appropriate reference and background checks will be carried out prior to job offers. This includes, but is not limited to, phone references
- Plan International requires evidence of commitment to gender equality and social inclusion. This evidence might come from verifiable stories of voluntary work, active engagement in CSOs, active engagement in community, family life as well as work.
- Applicants must be of Timorese nationality, or have the right or permission to live and work in Timor-Leste.
- Short listed candidates will be required to attend panel interviews and other selection procedures.
- We always seek verbal references.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: MONDAY 12 JUNE 2017
TO APPLY Send….
- resume/CV – including mobile phone number and email address, and Skype address if you have one
- cover letter explaining why you are applying
- names, mobile phone numbers and email address of three professional referees, plus Skype addresses if possible
- salary expectations and salary history to PlanTL.Jobs@plan-international.org(***)