USAID’s Avansa Agrikultura Project
‘Climate Change Adaptation/Natural Resource Management Specialist’ Position
- PROJECT DESCRIPTION
USAID’s Avansa Agrikultura Project is a horticulture value chain activity aimed at addressing the key challenges of rural poverty, natural resource degradation, food insecurity, and under-nutrition. The value chain approach will be applied in achieving increased productivity along key horticulture value chains that include vegetables, fruits and legumes. Through the promotion of sustainable production practices, increased functionality of farmer groups and associations, improved market linkages, and increased availability and access to quality agricultural inputs and services, including access to finance, the project will aim to stimulate and support increased economic activity and growth in targeted rural communities and districts. Sustainability of these interventions will be supported by work to maintain sound policies and enabling environment relevant to the sector, as well as efforts to increase resilience to climate change and improve natural resource management as it relates to farm systems.
- SCOPE OF WORK
- Assignment Objective
The Climate Change Adaptation/Natural Resource Management (CCA/NRM) Specialist will work closely with the project business advisors and other technical experts to ensure all project activities include NRM and climate change considerations, with particular focus on improving farmer resilience and access to information, under the direction of the Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party, and Agribusiness Specialist. He will be responsible for achieving results under Output 2 and ensuring that CCA/NRM are seamlessly integrated into all project activities and districts.
- Specific Tasks
Tasks of the CCA/NRM are:
- Collaborate with the Chief of Party (COP), Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP), and Agribusiness Advisor in refining annual work plans and targets in a timely manner in accordance with the contract terms. Contribute to regular monitoring efforts, and ensure activities are progressing against the work plan and PMEP
- Assist with the preparation and submission of program deliverables including program reporting as required by the contract
- Support design and implementation of the district vulnerability analysis, including reviewing existing research, participating in the tender of a local research organization, and facilitating community focus groups with the District Activity Managers, Borlaug, and other team members.
- Assist team to identify pilot sucos in each district that meet project standards of climate change vulnerability and horticulture production, and that demonstrate interest and commitment for project cooperation on CCA/NRM themes.
- Help facilitate consultations with suco chiefs, community elders, and wider community members in select sucos to develop and implement disaster risk response and climate change adaptation plans, in close cooperation with Business Advisors and other technical experts.
- Facilitate suco councils to incorporate DRR and NRM considerations into suco regulations, including through tara bandu to cement agreements. Assist communities to link these to district and sub-district policies when possible. Help ensure clear benchmarks are established.
- Cultivate and implement private sector partnerships with subcontractor SSG as relevant for CCA/NRM
- Assist governance advisors to ensure CCA/NRM considerations are included in policy reforms
- Coordinate with Business Advisors and other technical team members to ensure project activities include NRM and climate change considerations, with particular focus on improving farmer resilience and access to information.
- Assist with establish of co-management/user groups and other community-determined mechanisms for watershed and NRM management
- Develop scopes of work for short term consultants and tender for local subcontractors as needed under direction
- Support implementation of the grant fund as related to CCA/NRM activities
- Support District Activity Managers to implement activities across all districts
- Provide assistance to other project activities as necessary
The CCA/NRM Specialist will report to the Agribusiness Specialist.
This program represents a challenging, fast-paced international work environment that demands initiative, flexibility and a willingness to travel for certain aforementioned position. In return, Cardno offers the right candidate a very competitive package and an exciting job that rewards creative thinking and offers an opportunity to develop a deep insight into the functioning of the Timor-Leste economy, and possibly beyond. Please note that the rate of pay will be based on previous salary and local labour standards.
To apply please send your CV and a brief cover letter in English. Applications should be emailed quoting “USAID’s Avansa Agrikultura Project- CCA/NRM Specialist”, to email@example.com
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. Position is open to Timor-Leste national and Individuals with valid work permit to work in Timor-Leste. Cardno is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to Child Protection in all fields. Cardno encourages women to apply for the position. Successful applicants will be required to provide a police clearance certificate.
The deadline for submission of CVs / Expressions of Interest is August 15th, 2017 at 05.30 pm.
USAID’s Avansa Agrikultura Project managed by Cardno