As a federally owned enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. GIZ has been operating in Timor-Leste since 1999 on behalf of the German Government and implemented a number of projects in various fields such as economic development and employment promotion, peace building and civil conflict transformation in youth as well as administrative and technical support to the maritime sector. GIZ works in close cooperation with its Timorese governmental and non-governmental partners to reach jointly agreed goals.
We are looking for an External Relations, Communication and Public Relations Manager (male/female) to work for the GIZ Joint Project Administration and the German Cooperation Office.
- Manager of External Relations
As External Relation Manager, the incumbent is responsible for maintaining close relationship with the Government of Timor-Leste and the development partners active in Timor-Leste. He acts as the link between these organizations and the GIZ Joint Project Administration and the German Cooperation office. He/she supports the country coordinator to identify needs for support and possibilities cooperation for the future.
- Communications & Public Relations
As Communications & Public Relations Manager, the incumbent is responsible for the successful implementation of the GIZ Communications Strategy in Timor-Leste.
Ad 1: The External Relation Manager supports the Country Coordinator in performing the following tasks:
- Maintain a good working relationship with the governmental institutions and development partner organizations relevant for GIZ and German Cooperation.
- Assist the Country Coordinator in all aspects of cooperation with government in particular the preparation of government consultations.
- Together with the respective partners in Government and civil society, identify future needs for cooperation.
- Analyze and assess the political, socio-economic situation, keep track of new developments and report regularly to the country coordinator.
- Liaison with Directorate for Europe, Middle East and Africa of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the issues pertaining to the cooperation, verbal notes and intergovernmental agreements.
- Liaison with the Development Partnership Management Unit of the Ministry of Finance pertaining on all issues of cooperation and regularly update the Aid Transparency Portal of the Government of Timor-Leste with up-to-date date on the progress of BMZ supported projects.
- Advise partner institution(s) on procedures and regulations pertaining to the cooperation with special reference to the various instruments of technical cooperation (CIM, Development Workers and HCD) and financial cooperation
- Collect and collate governmental information and development partner activities relevant for the development of Timor-Leste.
- Follow up on decisions and correspondence.
- In agreement with the country coordinator, participate in the Development Partners meetings.
- Assist the country coordinator in any other issue which may arise.
Ad 2: As the Communications & Public Relations Manager, the incumbent performs the following tasks:
- Support the Country Coordinator in the implementation of the GIZ Communications Strategy in Timor-Leste.
- Act as a central liaison officer between the projects and the GIZ communications team based in Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Oversee the production of communications material, print and audio-visual for media, website and other outreach activities.
- Ensure that all communications and outreach material produced by the individual projects comply with GIZ’s quality standards.
- Mentor and guide project staff involved in the production of communications material. Ensure that staff members understand GIZ’s corporate design and communications guidelines.
- Contribute to the knowledge management of the German Cooperation in TL.
- Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Bachelor degree or masters/MSc in an area that is related to the project/programme objectives, with a focus on a relevant field.
- Relevant degree and/ or professional training in communications, journalism and/ and/or public relations is highly desirable.
- 7 – 10 years’ professional experience with at least 5 years’ professional experience in a comparable position in NGOs or Government.
- Previous professional experience in the field of communications, public relations and/or journalism highly desirable.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office).
- Good written and communication skills in English are essential, additional skills in Portuguese are an advantage.
- Fluent written and oral knowledge of the English and Tetum essential, additional proficiency in Portuguese and Bahasa Indonesia are an advantage.
- A good knowledge of the Timorese media landscape is highly desirable.
- A proven track record in a managerial position.
- Willingness to learn new skills as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
- Willingness to travel within and outside Timor-Leste.
Interested persons can send their application letter, CV and references stating the subject “GIZ-External Relations, Communication and Public Relations Manager” latest on 17 August 2017 at 12:00 noon time to either firstname.lastname@example.org or GIZ Coordination Office, Palm Business & Trade Centre, 3rd floor, Surik Mas, Fatumeta (Hudilaran), Dili, Timor-Leste. Female applicants and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for this position. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be held in English.
Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH;
Sitz der Gesellschaft Bonn und Eschborn/Registered offices Bonn and Eschborn, Germany;
Registergericht/Registered at Amtsgericht Bonn, Germany; Eintragungs-Nr./Registration no. HRB 18384 und/and Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main, Germany; Eintragungs-Nr./Registration no. HRB 12394;
USt-IdNr./VAT ID no. DE 113891176;
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Friedrich Kitschelt, Staatssekretaer/State Secretary;
Vorstand/Management Board: Tanja Goenner (Vorstandssprecherin/Chair of the Management Board), Dr. Christoph Beier (Stellv. Vorstandssprecher/Vice-Chair of the Management Board), Dr. Hans-Joachim Preuss, Cornelia Richter.