The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. WFP has been present in Timor-Leste since 1999. WFP focus in Timor-Leste is on building the capacity of the Government of Timor-Leste in managing supplementary feeding through the Ministry of Health’s Mother-and-Child Health and Nutrition programme. Technical assistance and Government capacity development, with a strategy for hand-over of a sustainable food-based programme to the Government are key priorities. Through the capacity building focus, targeted boys and girls between 6-59 months and pregnant and lactating women benefit from the project. WFP supports KONSSANTIL and the Zero Hunger Challenge and has aligned its activities with both UNDAF and Government policies.
WFP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Note: Non Timorese applicant will not be accepted, Vacancy Number: 63523
Job Title: Programme Policy Officer (1 position), Contract Type: Fixed term (National Only)
Grade: NOA Duration: 1 year, Duty Station: Dili
Under the direct supervision of the Nutritionist and general guidance of the Deputy Country Director/Head of Programme, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the implementation of nutrition interventions of the WFP Timor-Leste Development Project (2015-2017) and the Country Strategic Plan (2018-2020). The job purpose is to provide support to nutrition programmes and activities to contribute to meeting the nutritional needs of WFP beneficiaries. Key accountabilities:
* Contribute to the development of nutrition projects and activities, plans and processes, ensuring alignment with national nutrition policies, strategies, action plans and guidance.
* Provide project management support to specific and defined nutrition programmes, projects and activities, ensuring a co-ordinated approach with wider programmes/projects that comply with WFP standards and procedures.
* Co-ordinate data gathering and monitoring of nutrition related activities with national counterparts and other development partners, ensuring that quality standards are maintained.
* Analyse nutrition data to provide input into reporting activities and contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reporting on nutrition activities that enables informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
* Liaise with cooperating partners to coordinate ongoing projects and activities, ensuring effective collaboration at national and municipal level.
* Support the identification of potential partners and partnership negotiations to ensure a collaborative and holistic approach to meeting nutrition needs.
* Support the capacity building of WFP staff, partners and national government to prepare for and respond to nutrition needs. Specific tasks:
National Level Implementation
* Develop and sustain liaison with national counterparts in the context of nutrition policies, programmes and activities;
* Develop joint work plans based on agreed upon priority actions and project frameworks;
* Assist government institutions in the development and implementation of nutrition specific actions, with a focus on social and behaviour change communication for improved nutrition;
* Support WFP and Ministry of Health or other partners in the development and production of new information, education and communication (IEC) materials on nutrition, including posters, banners, and audio/visual tools targeting vulnerable groups, families and communities;
* Monitor the dissemination of existing and newly developed nutrition communication materials, information products and messages to target audiences;
* Closely work with UN agencies (in particular UNICEF and WHO), NGOs, Health Development Partners and the Nutrition Working Group in the joint planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of nutrition activities;
* Support capacity building initiatives, by organizing and facilitating trainings and workshops for WFP staff, partners and national government;
* Ensure compliance with WFP’s policies, criteria, and procedures with respect to nutrition and food aid;
* Reporting and documentation of nutrition interventions as advised by the supervisor;
* Carry out other tasks as may be required and requested by the management and supervisor as well as Nutrition Department.
District Level Implementation
*Provide training and technical guidance for WFP field staff, cooperating partners and counterparts for implementation and monitoring of nutrition and behaviour change communication activities;
* Undertake regular joint supportive field visits with MoH and other partners, provide on-site advice, guidance and recommendations for improving the implementation of nutrition related activities at community and health facility level to ensure consistent, effective and efficient implementation, monitoring and reporting at municipality and national level.
* Organize regular coordination meetings with municipal health services, implementing partners and other stakeholders engaged in nutrition activities at municipality and community level, ensuring a coordinated approach and jointly identifying potential risks to project delivery.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE:
* At least two or more years of postgraduate professional experience.
* Has gained experience in implementing technical programs (i.e. nutrition, etc.).
* Has implemented programmes and provided input into designing operations.
* Has provided input into policy discussions and decisions.
* Has working experience in public health, food security, nutrition and behaviour change communication
STANDARD MINIMUM ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS:
Advanced University degree in International Affairs, Economics, Nutrition/Health, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Social Sciences or other field relevant to international development assistance, or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
Language: Fluent in both oral and written communication in English.
If interest in the position, please follow the link to apply and submit your application through https://career5.
Application deadline is Thursday, 7 September, 2017.(***)